Saturday, March 04, 2006

Longtails and Springtime


Every year, sometime between Late February and March the White Tailed Tropicbirds or Longtails return to grace our windswept island. They leave in October and return to court and breed. Marking the unofficial start of spring, it means warmer weather is on it's way.

Well the seagulls are still here, I guess owing to the winter gales that still are upon us, but they will soon be gone and then the longtails (human visitors) will be flying in to sample our pink sandy beaches, Dark and Stormy's and world class golf courses.

I took this picture about 20 years ago just when the longtails had started to return. He was a bit mad at me as I was venturing to close to a nest he must have picked out. (They nest in holes in the rockface along our shores) They pick this location as it is difficilt for preditors and photographers to get close!

I still await reports of the first sightings for the year.