Thursday, April 13, 2006

Coot Pond walk: Part 1

I look forward to my walks now, well more or less. I enjoyed my walk this evening a lot as my youngest daughter came with me, we had a lot of fun, and I think she enjoyed it as well.She was supposed to go to Karate but was cancelled because of the holiday tomorrow.









View of RAA Club (Royal Artillery) and the dairy farm.

























A view looking down on the old road, about 30 years ago the road was
being eroded away, and a new road much higher up the hill was cut out.
You can still walk on some sections but a lot of the road has fallen into
The sea.

















A view of Fort St. Catherine’s Beach and Fort. Also you can see a little of the Board Walk that Club Med built. The Pier has taken a lot of damage over the years and is almost unusable.

















Fort St. Catherine

















Another view of Fort St. Catherine Beach and the former Holiday Inn/Lowes Hotel/
Club Med. 1987’s hurricane Emily caused a lot of damage. Club Med re-opened for
A few months and closed in 1988. The hotel has been empty since.

















Another beach, Achilles Bay is located just to the west of Fort St. Catherine’s

























A view looking west along Coot Pond Road. Picture shows the former Glad Café


















Lots of interesting things to look at in the window. The Glad Café has been closed of
Decades but I still remember walking home from the beach on a hot summer’s day and looking forward to getting my grape soda or snow cone. One of the bottles still has a foot long centipede in it, and yes they do get that big here!