Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Going home - Finally

Hickman was implanted on Saturday afternoon; the doc came by later to say I could go home the next day, if the pharmacy was open to dispense the medicine! So another day in the hospital.

They moved me to a semi-private room Sunday morning and the Doctor came by say everything was looking good. He signed me out for Monday and said just have to get the home nurse organized. I was starting to feel a lot better. Still tired but at least no more fevers.

I had the first decent nights sleep in over 3 weeks, so good I did not want to get out of bed until breakfast came. (yuck) Later that morning I called the home nurse and she said she would meet me at home by 6:00 pm. That done it was just a matter of “let me out of here!!!” The ward nurse said I would have to wait until my 2:00 pm dose of penicillin. Every four hours for the last 5 days and night I had to be hooked up to the intravenous drip. Usually they would set it to run for 1 to 2 hours. I think I got this last one in ½ an hour! Guess they wanted me out of here as well. (They needed the room and the bed)

That done I was changed and packed ready for the nurse to unplug me. Now here is a strange thing, I was asked if I needed a wheelchair to take me down to the car (wife had come to pick me up) Now that is normal practice to wheel one down to the car. Hell no I said I can walk!

I have to say something, I want to thank all the nurses, doctors, aids and rest of the staff at the KEMH, the building may be falling down around you but you all manage to work under very difficult and trying situations. Some of the patients needed a lot of EXTRA patience. Not a job I could do! The only thing I asked for daily was some butter to go with my meals.

Never say non dairy when checking in. It’s easier to not eat what’s on your plate then to try to get something that’s not on it. Even though the food was terrible I was grateful for it.

I was going home, and I felt much better. Thanks again to everyone.