Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Check In

Getting the doctor to call you back can sometimes be considered a small miracle. Getting a call from the doctor at 9:00pm from his office in my book should and was considered panic attack material.

Monday I had been in to the lab for more blood tests, and I had not expected any results for at least another week. A chest x-ray had been scheduled for the following week. All the ongoing tests had not confirmed what was making me feel like crap so the thought of another week of this was not making me feel to happy.

So, Tuesday night at 9:00 the doctor called me to ask me to come in the next day for more tests. I told him about my temperatures (he had asked me to monitor the fever) and we talked for a few more minutes then he hung up. Two minutes later the Doctor called back to say he was concerned about my heart murmur and that I should probably go to the emergency room. “Tomorrow Mourning?” I asked. “Tonight! Now” he responded.

So an hour later I found myself in the emergency room, with the doctor there asking me more questions and giving me another going over. I could see that he had narrowed down what he thought I had and now it was just a matter of confirming it. A bunch of blood tests and the chest X-Ray where performed; now it is almost 1:00 in the morning. My wife was with me and she was very concerned. Her Step Granny was upstairs on a ward in a coma. She had had a massive stroke and brain bleed about a week before. I wondered how she was able to cope before with her sick now I was about to check in to the hospital.

The doctor came in and said they were waiting for a room on the ward then they would move me upstairs. I had been to the hospital a lot, as a visitor or out patient, but the last time I was “checked in” was when I was about 3 years old for removal of my tonsils.
All I could think about was “Yucky Hospital Food!!!” I was also informed I would be having an echocardiogram on my heart in the morning and some more blood tests. The tests where blood cultures and the results usually take 24 to 48 hours. They were looking for a bacterial infection.

I told my wife to go home because now it was just a matter of wait and see. She was really tired and I told her not to worry and I would see her in the morning. They moved me up to the ward about 3:00 in the morning and I got settled in to a restless sleep.

I latter found out that Granny “Peggy” had passed about the same time I was being wheeled into my ward. She was in the other ward, same floor right across from where I was.