Thursday, December 01, 2005

Effexor Problems

Effexor…….. From the http://www.effexorxr.com/ web site

“Understanding EFFEXOR XR EFFEXOR XR is believed to work by affecting the levels of 2 naturally occurring chemicals in the brain — serotonin and norepinephrine. Because EFFEXOR XR works on these 2 chemicals, it is known as an SNRI, or serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.”

I have been on this SNRI for over 2 years now. My dosage is really low and mainly for the treatment of panic attacks. I ran out 3 days ago and by last night I was really feeling strange. I was not dizzy but felt almost detached and like my eyes were in the side of my head. If I turned around too fast, it felt like slow motion. I would have to look straight ahead. Needles to say I refilled my prescription last night and though I still have some eye flutter I am feeling much better. Do not think I will do that again in a hurry.

Out of all the antidepressants Efexxor has to be one of the hardest to ween off.

Also

“Suicide in Children and Teenagers

Antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children and teenagers. Patients who are started on therapy should be observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior. EFFEXOR XR® (venlafaxine HCl) is not approved for use in children and teenagers.

This I mention because if I was feeling stange after missing a couple of doses, imagine what a teenager would feel. Close monitoring of any one comeing of this class of drugs is important.