Monday, November 28, 2005

More Crap to deal with!

I am pissed, really! My oldest daughter was in a motorbike accident almost two weeks ago. She just turned seventeen, and in my understanding of our law, she is still a child. Eighteen makes her a legal adult.

I actually need to go back about a year, she was having problems in school, and dropped out before she was sixteen. She got a full time job in February this year, and after six months they let her go. While employed I had to take her off of my insurance plan. This is were my problems started.

In Bermuda the government subsidises children 16 and under and still in school. They provide all hospital treatments, but nothing else (ie doctors, glasses and medication) So three months ago I put her back on my plan because she was not working. ( she is studying for her GCSE's at home)

Back to the accident, she goes to the hospital a few days later as she is having some abdominal pain. She has some problems checking in to the emergency room were they tell her mom to check with the insurance company. That evening we go to get her pain medication and the pharmacy informs us that we owe almost sixty dollars that the insurance company refused to pay. Seems like she is still not insured.

So the next day at work I check with our office to find out why? I am told that it will be looked into. Later that day I get a call inquireing if she is still in school. Whats that got to do with it?

Come to find out, EVERYTHING!!!

As she is not in school, the insurance company does not offer any coverage, even though she is still not eighteen yet, still a dependant, still a child for heavens sake.

Back to the begining. I am pissed!!! I spent a couple of hours on the phone today talking to various insurance companies. One of which gave me the right answer in my view. Their policy offers dependants coverage untill their ninteenth birtday, in school or not, the up to twenty six years old if they are still in school. Unfortunately my group plan is with another company. Their plan is up to twenty six years old, still in school. If your child is out of school for any reason. BAMM!!! NO COVERAGE. I have t take out a private plan of either one hundred and thirty dollars for basic coverage (ie nothing but hospital) or almost four hundred dollars for major medical. Which she had while under my insurance anyway. Now you see why I am mad.

So at the moment my daughter has no insurance, and if she has another accident or need any dental work done, we are screwed. Oh yeah now I have a big hospital bill to pay because of all the tests done to her last week. (before I found out about all this crap)

And no bike for her to ride to her part time job because the lady that hit her has not signed the insurance papers to admit liability. (but thats another story!)